Sunday, October 14, 2012

Turkey, Mushroom & Spinach Lasagna

I had this recipe tucked away for a while now.  I was looking for something to make during the day that would be an easy heat up when we wanted to eat so I decided to try it.  The recipe calls for the "no-boil" lasagna noodles and I was pretty skeptical.  It turned out surprisingly good!  It's even better reheated in the microwave (my 1st attempt to reheat, I used the oven but I prefer the microwave now!).  I think it'd be just as good with the regular "boil" noodles but the no-boil definitely save some time!  The spices that you add make the dish so try to get them all in there.



Ingredients:
1 lb extra lean ground turkey
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Salt & Pepper
2 tsp olive oil
1 white onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 pkg crimini mushrooms (I used baby bella)
4 cups baby spinach
4 cups marinara sauce (32 oz jar)
4 oz turkey pepperoni, chopped
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
12 no-boil lasagna noodles
15 oz fat free Ricotta noodles (I ended up using part skim because that's what I had on hand)
1 cup shredded part skim Mozzarella
Fresh basil (I used dried)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray 9x13" pan with Pam
Mix ground turkey, fennel, garlic powder, salt & pepper together.  Add to a large skillet set to medium, high heat.  Occasionally stir turkey and cook until no longer pink.  Transfer to a bowl.
In same skillet, add olive oil and then onion.  Cook onion until it softens.  Add garlic for about a minute.  Add mushrooms and cook them for about 5 minutes.  Add spinach and cook until it's wilted, about 2-3 minutes.
Add skillet items to bowl with turkey and combine.
Spread 1 cup of sauce on bottom of baking pan.  Cover with 4 lasagna noodles, overlapping if necessary.  Layer half of the turkey filling on top of the noodles, then layer half of the Ricotta.  Top with 1 cup of sauce, half the pepperoni and sprinkle the red pepper flakes on top.  Add 4 more noodles, the remaining turkey filling, Ricotta and sauce.  Top with remaining noodles and sprinkle Mozzarella cheese and basil.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.  Remove foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until cheese is slightly browned & bubbly.
Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes before slicing.




No comments:

Post a Comment