Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Chicken with a Mango Salsa

I had 2 very ripe mango's that I needed to use up and wasn't sure what to do with them.  I have always wanted to try mango salsa and found this recipe.  It looked really good so I gave it a try!  The chicken was a huge success and will be made again.  I wish I could say the same for the salsa.  I have come to the realization that I really don't care for cilantro - in anything!  The taste of cilantro in this was over-powering (I didn't even use the full amount that the recipe called for) and ruined the salsa part for me.  When I got 1 or 2 bites of just the mango - I did like how that tasted with the chicken.  I would maybe try this again but with different spices / herbs.  Also, the recipe didn't say to saute the onion or garlic and next time I would definitely do that!  I subbed shallot for the green onion since I don't like green onion either.

Here's the chicken after marinating - ready for the oven

Here's the final dish

Ingredients:
Chicken:
8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp freshly grated ginger
1/4 c soy sauce
1/4 c freshly squeezed lime juice
Mango Salsa:
2 mangos; peeled, pitted & cut into 1/4" pieces
3 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
1-2 jalepeno chiles, seeds removed, diced
3 green onions, finely sliced (I used shallot because I don't like green onions)
2/3 c lightly packed fresh cilantro leave, chopped
Directions:
Rinse chicken with cold water and pat dry.
In an oven proof baking dish, combine ingredients for chicken and turn chicken several times to coat. 
Cover baking dish and refrigerate for 2-4 hours
Combine salsa ingredients and refrigerate
Preheat oven to 375 degrees & transfer baking dish to oven.  Bake for 20-25 minutes or until done.
To serve, spoon a generous amount of salsa over chicken thighs
I served it over brown rice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment