Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Chicken Pot Pie

I am sharing this meal to show that not all of my creations turn out as planned!  I would categorize this one as a presentation FAIL but the taste was really good!  As some of you know, our Acme isn't the best (I've put that on here before - sigh!) and when I went looking for refrigerated pie crust, wouldn't you know that they were sold out - of EVERY kind.  UGH.  I posted on another site that I belong to for alternatives and someone gave me what looked like an "easy" pie crust recipe.  Note to self, pie crust from scratch should not be made on a week night when there's homework; bath; laundry; etc... to do as well!  The picture shows that this really didn't turn out as pretty as it should have but I would definitely try it again with the refrigerator pie crust that it calls for because the flavor was delish!  The original recipe came from here.
When I make this again, I'll put the "pretty" picture up!

Edited - to add a new picture of a "prettier" pot pie!  I made it again and it turned out really nice!  




Ingredients:
8 oz white mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 (5.2 oz) package Boursin cheese
1 c chicken broth
1/2 c heavy cream (I did 1/4 c heavy cream and 1/4 c skim milk)
1 tbsp cornstarch
1-1/2 c frozen carrots and broccoli (recipe called for peas but we don't like them)
Salt & Pepper
1 refrigerated Pillsbury pie crust
Directions:
Simmer chicken breast until done - about 15 minutes.  Cut into bite size pieces
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
Saute mushrooms until the liquid is gone
Combine broth, cream, cornstarch, salt & pepper in a large sauce pan.  Break up the cheese and mix in.  Cook over medium high heat until the cheese has melted and the sauce thickens up a little bit - about 5-7 minutes
Stir in chicken, mushrooms, veggies and combine.
Transfer to a 9" pie pan.  Carefully lay pie crust over the top.  Tuck any dough that hangs over into the mixture.  Cut 3 1" slits in top of crust. 
Bake until filling is bubbling and crust is brown - about 25 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment