Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Herb Balsamic Lamb Chops

I made the roasted butternut squash on Monday with the intention of serving it with dinner Tuesday.  I thought I was going to do a pork tenderloin but when I opened the freezer, I saw 4 lamb chops sitting right in front so I decided to use them.  I found this recipe and knew that I also had some fresh herbs to use so it seemed like a perfect fit!  The only thing that didn't work according to the original recipe was the cooking time.  I like my lamb pretty rare but after pulling the meat off and letting it rest, it was still too rare.  I ended up putting the chops back in the pan with the balsamic, covering it and simmering the lamb for about another 2-3 minutes per side.  They turned out delicious and were a perfect compliment to the roasted squash!

A picture of the lamb chops as I put them in the pan

The final meal

Ingredients:
4 lamb chops
1 tbsp mixed fresh herbs (I used thyme and rosemary)
Salt & Pepper
1-1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 shallot, chopped
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
3/4 cup chicken broth
1 tbsp butter (I used margarine)

Directions:Rub the chops on both sides with the herbs, salt & pepper.  Let sit for about 30 minutes
After 30 minutes, heat olive oil in pan and place chops in pan.  Cook for about 2-3 minutes per side.  Remove from heat, tent to keep warm.
Add the shallots to the pan and cook until they are soft.  Add in the balsamic vinegar & chicken broth & simmer to reduce.  Once the broth is reduced by about half, add the butter and stir. 
If your chops aren't done to the temperature you like, add them back to the pan, reduce heat, cover & simmer for about another 2-3 minutes per side. 
Once the chops are done to your liking, put them on a plate and spoon the sauce over top. 
Serve immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment