Thursday, June 14, 2012

Knock Off Graul's Chicken Salad

For those of you in MD, you know that Graul's chicken salad is pretty darn good!  I found a recipe online that says it's the way that Graul's makes it.  I'm not convinced but it's not a bad version of chicken salad.  I used the left over beer can chicken that we did earlier this week, so maybe that has something to do with it not being exact (the recipe calls for boiling chicken breasts in chicken broth then shredding it).  In any event, I followed the gist of the recipe below (I scaled down my quantities due to the amount of chicken I was working with) and I think it's pretty good.


3 lbs. chicken meat
1 cup finely chopped celery
3 cups mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper

Shred / cut chicken
Combine shredded chicken and celery into a large bowl.
Stir together mayonnaise, ground red pepper, salt, and white pepper until well blended; spoon over shredded chicken mixture, stirring to coat. Cover and chill at least 4 hours

(Original recipe says to place skinned & boned chicken breasts in a large skillet, add chicken broth. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or until the chicken is done. Remove chicken from skillet, and let stand 15 minutes or until cool to touch.) 

1 comment: