Thursday, June 7, 2012

Ground Beef & Sausage Meatloaf Topped with a Cajun Mayo Spread

I'm proud to say I made "regular 'ole meatloaf" into something pretty delicious! I pulled out ground beef from the freezer before work and was trying to decide what to do with it.  I went to my favorite site (foodgawker) and began perusing.  I tripped on a few different recipes there; checked out allrecipes too and came up with this recipe after reading several variations of "meat loaf".  The end result was really amazing!  It's probably the best meat loaf I've ever tasted!!
The cajun mayo spread was something I saw on foodgawker but the recipe called for lemon juice.  I didn't have any of that so I was looking around the kitchen for what to sub in there.  I came up with some Dijon mustard.  I think that made it perfect!  (I'm not sure I'd try lemon juice!)
I served the meat loaf with a salad made from our own romaine lettuce in our garden and some mashed potatoes.  

Here's a picture of our romaine lettuce:


Here's a picture of the salad I made:  (tomatoes are store bought but our garden ones are looking pretty healthy!)

Here's a picture of the final meal:

Ground Beef & Sausage Meatloaf Topped with a Cajun Mayo Spread

Ingredients:
1lb ground beef
1/2 link of Mild Italian Sausage, casings removed and cut into smaller chunks
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1/3 cup saltine crackers, crushed
Onion Powder - a few dashes
Salt / Pepper to taste
Worcestershire Sauce - a few dashes
About 1/4 cup Fresh Parmesan Cheese
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tbsp brown sugar


For the Cajun Mayo Spread (I only made it for me so these measurements are for 1 serving):
Cajun Seasoning, a few dashes
3 tbsp mayo
1 tbsp dijon mustard
Worcestershire Sauce, 2-3 dashes

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Combine first 9 ingredients in a large bowl and mix well
Place meat mixture into loaf pan (coat with Pam spray first)
Mix ketchup & brown sugar together in a smaller bowl
Top meat mixture with ketchup mixture
Place in oven and bake for 40-45 minutes
Remove from oven and let it rest for about 5 minutes before cutting into it
While meat loaf is cooking, combine ingredients for the mayo spread and set aside
Top finished meat loaf slices (on plates) with mayo spread & serve

No comments:

Post a Comment