Friday, August 31, 2012

Zucchini Cakes

I was glancing through some food websites and tripped on one that tries to "skinny" down recipes.  I love looking at how she cuts calories on some of my favorite recipes!  I have made 3 things now and each of them taste delicious!  I made these zucchini cakes after work this week and was surprised at how quickly they can be made!  These would be great as an appetizer or side dish.  They can also be made ahead of time; frozen and reheated.  I'd definitely reheat them in the oven - not microwave.  Anyway, the site can be found here.  I only had 1 zucchini and this made 10 "cakes".  Next time, I think I'll triple the recipe!

Edited to add that I've made these several times now and added (in addition to the zucchini and other ingredients already listed below) - shredded / chopped carrot; chopped bacon and sauteed mushrooms.  I did each in separate batches to see what we liked best.  All of them are delicious and well liked!

(Original recipe with just zucchini)

(Original recipe with just zucchini)

(Updated recipe with carrots; bacon and mushrooms)


 Ingredients:
1 zucchini, grated
1 large egg
1/4 medium onion, diced
1/4 cup reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs (I used Italian Seasoned)
Salt & Pepper to taste
Cooking Spray

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Spray mini muffin tin with cooking spray
Grate the zucchini into a clean kitchen towel (I tried using paper towels and it didn't work.  You really need to use a kitchen towel)  Wring out the zucchini to get rid of the excess water.
In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients & season with salt & pepper
Fill each muffin tin and push down with a spoon so the mixture is packed in the tin
Bake for 16-18 minutes, until the tops are golden brown
Use a plastic knife or rubber spatula to remove from the tins

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment