Saturday, August 18, 2012

Simmered Meatballs

B really wanted pasta so I decided to make homemade meatballs to accompany it.  I remember my Mom baking the meatballs but all the recipes I found called for them to be made on the stove.  I found the recipe here and I think they could stand to use a little bit more spice but they were good as is too.  In my quest to find the right recipe, I saw that a few called for Panko breadcrumbs to be placed in a little milk to make them more moist.  I tried that (instead of using regular Italian Bread Crumbs) and I think that made the difference in making these very moist.  Instead of using just regular ground beef, I bought the package that specified it was good for meatballs or meatloaf (due to it having ground beef; ground pork and ground turkey).

Here are my meatballs before cooking:

Here they are mixed in with the pasta and accompanied by the bread sticks I just posted:
Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef (as mentioned, I used a mixed package of ground meat)
1/2 cup Panko Bread crumbs
1 egg beaten
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp parsley
1/2 tsp dried onions
1 fresh garlic clove, minced
1 tsp salt
2-3 tsp milk
1 jar tomato sauce / pasta sauce

Directions:
Mix the beef, egg & spices in a large bowl
Put the Panko Bread Crumbs in a small bowl and slowly add the milk, 1 tsp at a time.  Stir them together until they have absorbed the milk but aren't "soupy"
Combine the Panko mixture with the meat mixture
Form into 1" balls
Heat 1-2 tbsp oil in a pan on medium to medium high heat & brown the meatballs in the oil, constantly rotating to get every side brown.
Reduce heat to medium low and add tomato sauce
Simmer for 15-20 minutes - ensuring the temperature is high enough to keep the sauce at a simmer
Remove and serve warm


No comments:

Post a Comment