Saturday, November 9, 2013

Butternut Squash with Walnuts and Vanilla

I love butternut squash but B doesn't really care for it.  Since it makes a ton of food, I had to wait until we had people coming over to try it.  This recipe is so good and perfect for a Fall night!  I will warn you that peeling a butternut squash is a pain in the neck but it's worth it!


Ingredients:
1 butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed and flesh cut into about 1" pieces
1 heaping cup of walnuts (I used pecans because that's what I had in the cupboard)
2-3 tbsp butter
2 tsp grated ginger (I used a little cinnamon because I didn't have ginger)
1 tsp vanilla extract
Lemon juice (I used about 1/2 of a lemon)
1/2 tsp dried thyme
Salt & Pepper

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Toss squash with a little olive oil, salt & pepper.  Put in a baking dish and roast for about 20-25 minutes, until tender
Heat a large saute pan and toast nuts for a few minutes, stirring frequently so they don't burn
Remove nuts and set aside.  In the same pan, melt butter and add ginger, vanilla, lemon juice & thyme.  Stir to combine.  Add in nuts and stir again.  Remove heat.
Remove squash from oven and place in large serving bowl.  Drizzle butter & nut mixture over the squash and stir.
Serve immediately.  

No comments:

Post a Comment