Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Skillet Mac & Cheese

As I was preparing the chicken dish (recipe here), B asked what we were having for sides.  I told her I was planning on corn and buttered noodles (both of which she loves).  She then announces that she wants Mac & Cheese.  What?!  This is the girl who I couldn't get to eat mac & cheese - ever!  I knew I had all sorts of cheese in the 'fridge and a variety of pasta in the cupboard so I quickly went to Epicurious and tried to find a recipe that looked appealing.  I found this one and it turned out really delicious!!  I didn't have dry mustard and after digging through the spices, I decided to sub in Cajun seasoning.  I loved the way that tasted and would make it that way again!  This side isn't hard but there's a lot going on at the end of the preparation (aka - I was a bit stressed that it wouldn't all come together well).  Thankfully, this one turned out and will be made again!  I added some Panko breadcrumbs to the top of the mac & cheese before broiling it too.


Ingredients:
3/4 package elbow macaroni (any pasta works)
1 tbsp butter
1-1/2 c milk (I used 1%)
1 tsp Cajun seasoning
1/2 tsp Paprika
1/2 tsp Salt
2 to 2-1/2 c grated cheese - I used Locatelli; Parmesan and Mozzarella
4-5 tbsp all purpose flour
Panko bread crumbs

Directions:
Cook pasta according to package instructions
Meanwhile, heat cast iron skillet over high heat.  Once it's hot, add butter.  It should melt quickly and start foaming.  Add in milk and stir.  Then add in the Cajun seasoning, Paprika & Salt.  Stir to mix well.
Set aside 1/2 of the grated cheese for topping.  Begin to add the rest of the cheese, 1 handful at a time, to the skillet.  Whisk to mix & melt the cheese.  After you've added the cheese and it's melted, add in 1 tbsp of flour at a time and whisk.  Continue adding flour until the consistency of the mix is pretty thick.
When pasta is done, drain well.
Turn your broiler on low.
Add pasta to the cheese mixture and stir to mix.  Top with remaining grated cheese and sprinkle Panko bread crumbs (a very thin layer) on top.
Place in broiler and cook for about 4-6 minutes, until bubbly.  Be careful when removing the skillet from the broiler (I put a pot holder on the side of the oven to remind me to use it!).
Let the mac & cheese sit for about a minute and serve.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment