Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Farro with Bacon, Mushrooms and Broccoli

I saw Farro for the first time at a work function and wondered what the heck it was!  I Google'd it and realized it's a grain...and since I usually love them, I thought I'd give it a try.  I found this recipe which called for spinach & shrimp to be added.  B doesn't love spinach so I subbed in broccoli for her.  We had shrimp as another part of our meal that night, so I didn't add the shrimp either.  Both the spinach and shrimp would have been great in the dish!  This is a versatile side and it's pretty easy / quick to do so it'd make a nice side dish even during the week!


Ingredients:
2 c Farro
6 slices of thick cut bacon, cooked and cut into smaller pieces.  Reserve 1 tbsp bacon drippings for later
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
10 crimini mushrooms, sliced
1 c Broccoli crowns
1/4 c dry white wine (you can use chicken broth instead)
Kosher salt & cracked pepper

Directions:
Cook Farro according to package instructions & drain

Add 1 tbsp bacon drippings & 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Saute garlic, onions, oregano and crushed red pepper just until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in mushrooms. Cook 3 minutes or until softened slightly.Pour white wine (or chicken broth) over the top. Stir in broccoli. Cook just until crunchy, about 3 minutes

Mix farro and bacon into the mushroom / broccoli mixture. Mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment