Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Southwest Turkey Meatballs with Dipping Sauce

I made these for a get together with the neighbors.  I know I've mentioned that I don't like cilantro but I realize other do.  The recipe calls for adding cilantro to the meatballs and the sauce but I omitted it from the meatballs.  I also made 2 dipping sauces...one with cilantro and one with pesto.  These were a hit and would be a nice app to bring to any event.  I would recommend adding more jalapeno if you like a little pep to your food.  I couldn't taste it in mine and I kept a few seeds to hopefully add a little heat.  I found the recipe here.


Ingredients:
1-1/4 lb ground turkey (99% lean)
1 jalapeno, seeds removed if you don't like too much heat
2 cloves garlic
1/4 c chopped cilantro (I omitted this) but subbed parsley
3 scallions, chopped
1/4 c seasoned bread crumbs
1 egg
1 tsp cumin
pinch Oregano
Salt & Pepper
Cooking spray

Directions:
Lightly spray cookie sheet & preheat oven to 400 degrees
Place jalapeno, garlic, cilantro & scallions in a food processor and pulse until minced
In a large bowl, combine turkey, chopped herbs, bread crumbs, egg, cumin, salt & pepper. Use your hands to blend thoroughly
Make into small meatballs and place on cookie sheet
Bake for 15 minutes (mine were a bit big so they cooked for about 20 minutes)
Makes 24 meatballs

Dipping Sauce:
1/2 c lowfat buttermilk
1/4 c lite mayo
1/4 c Fat Free Greek yogurt
1 small jalapeno, seeds removed if you don't like it too spicy
1/4 c fresh cilantro
1 tomatillo, husks removed.  Chop the tomatillo
1 clove garlic
1 scallion
juice of 1/2 lime
1/2 tsp dried parsley flakes
1/8 tsp cumin
Salt & Pepper

Mix all ingredients in a blender and serve.

For a pesto dipping sauce, I followed the instructions above but instead of cilantro, I used almost 1 small jar of pesto sauce.

2 points plus for 2 meatballs; add 1 point for dipping sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment